Here is your Newcastle United transfer gossip on Thursday, March 24.
Asking price for Sporting defender revealed
Newcastle United’s top transfer targets for centre back in January were Sevilla’s Diego Carlos and Lille’s Sven Botman. However, neither could be secured and before the club brought in Dan Burn from Brighton, they made enquiries into many other centre back options.
One of those was said to be Sporting CP’s Goncalo Inacio. According to reports in Portugal, the Magpies could have secured the 20-year-old for €30million in January. However, the price is now said to have risen to €40million ahead of the summer as the Portuguese’ stock has continued to rise this season.
Eddie Howe’s former player linked
Another defender that linked to St James’ Park is Bournemouth’s Lloyd Kelly. The 23-year-old, who is capable of playing both left back and centre back has had an impressive season for the Championship promotion chasers and Football Insider have claimed that the Magpies have ‘upper their interest’ in him as the season has gone on.
The former Bristol City man has played 31 times for Scott Parker’s side this season and has had Premier League experience before as he was part of the Bournemouth team that were relegated under Eddie Howe in 19/20, although his season was badly interrupted by injuries.
Everton man ruled out as a target
Whilst Newcastle have continued to look for further reinforcements at centre back, one defender has been ruled out as a target. Everton’s Ben Godfrey had been mentioned as a player Howe might be interested in but Give Me Sport has dismissed this link.
Journalist and transfer insider, Dean Jones, has stated that Newcastle are looking into several options to join Burn in the centre of defence. However, Godfrey is ‘not really one of them.’
Go here for all the latest Newcastle United news